Disney’s Vero Beach Day 3!!!

Vero Beach Day 3!!!

Friday, July 19, 2013

After our turtle walk adventure and not getting to bed until around 2 a.m., we slept in as late as we could.  We were supposed to go on a boat tour on the Indian River to look for manatees and dolphins at 10 a.m.  At around 9 a.m., Michael’s cell phone rang and it was the boat tour company calling to say that the boat captain was ill and they were going to need to cancel our tour that morning.  We were definitely okay with that because we were so tired.  The kids slept until almost 10 a.m.!

We did finally get up and decided to head back to the main inn to see if there were other boat tours or some other activity we could do during the day.  While Michael checked with the concierge, the kids sat down and watched some Disney cartoons.


Michael had been given some information on a different boat tour company.  So, we headed to Sebastian, Fl. to eat lunch at a restaurant called, Mulligan’s.  It was really good and sits right on the Indian River.  The boat tour company, River Queen Cruises, leaves from the dock right behind Mulligan’s.


After lunch, we went to the dock and boarded the pontoon boat.  There are a lot of manatee and dolphins that live in the Indian River.


Zachary liked staying at the front of the boat so he could see the dolphins.



He took over the camera for a while and took a few selfies!


Taylor was still a little tired and the little bit of rocking from the boat, relaxed her so much that she took a quick nap!


We did see a lot of dolphins on the cruise and we came close to some manatee, but they were not close enough to get a good look at. The dolphins were hard to get a good photo of because they moved so fast!


After the cruise was over, the kids and I decided to go to the pool for a little while.  Michael relaxed by the pool.  He was nursing a pretty good sunburn.

We swam for quite a while and then it was time for dinner.  We ate dinner at Bleachers…the counter service restaurant by the pool.  We then went and cleaned up and got ready for the campfire that night.




After we sang a few campfire songs with the campfire leaders and ate our s’mores, we decided to go check out the premiere of “Teen Beach Movie.”  We had to walk through the Peter Pan Tunnel to get to the resort’s soccer fields (where the movie was being shown).  It was really humid and the movie had already started, so we didn’t stay for too long. So we walked back through the Peter Pan tunnel to the resort lobby.


We were walking back through the lobby of the resort when one of the Disney cast members came up to us and told us they were getting ready to release some turtle hatchlings into the ocean and were letting everyone know in case they wanted to be a part of it.  So, instead of going back to our room, we definitely too advantage of this awesome experience.  We followed him to the boardwalk and then down to the beach.  The cast members had two buckets full of baby turtles.  They were so tiny.  The turtles would easily fit in the palm of your hand.  They told us that they had been found in a nest that was too deep for them to climb out of.  There was probably 30-40 people on the ocean and we made two lines down the beach right into the water.  The kids and I were standing right at the tide line.  Every so often, the tide would come in and the water would be over our ankles.  The slowly started releasing the babies and they quickly made their way towards the water.  It was so amazing to watch.  A few of the babies started heading off the wrong direction and we would either have to stand very still or take a careful step backwards to give them more room.  Of course, there were a few people who were taking photos and were getting in trouble.  They had asked us not to use our flash or any white lights beforehand.  So, I don’t have any photos.  After a while, the babies would make their way to the tide line and the water would come in and carry them off into the ocean.  After the last baby made its way into the ocean, we all clapped.  It was such an amazing experience and I’m so happy that we all were able to be a part in something like this.  It gave me a new respect for nature and the natural habitats of animals.  I would love to go back and see more turtles.We went back to our room and started packing.  It was our last night to spend at Disney’s Vero Beach Resort.